Solar Water Heating System SizingMay 27, 2014
Is your Solar Heating representative giving you the right information? Very often its more about the sale rather then giving you the system design you require. Only later when its too late will you notice that you could have saved more if the system was correctly sized.
Solar Heating Load and System Sizing
In order to determine the appropriate size for a solar water heating system many factors need to be taken into account, among the more important are:
• location (climate, solar resource, mains water and ambient air temperatures)
• dwelling (size, number of occupants, hot water use)
• potential water conservation measures
• temperature of the required hot water
• system configuration (heat losses from tanks, pipes and fitting, temperature drops in heat exchangers)
• auxiliary heating (availability, capital vs operating cost)
Several approaches to this design problem are possible; rule of thumb, graphical (chart) and computer software. It should be kept in mind that even the most sophisticated design methods will not lead to an effective system if the data used is not accurate. If, for instance, the occupants use significantly more hot water than was estimated then the system may not be adequate or may require more frequent boosting resulting in a high power bill despite Solar.
Speak to Euro Plumbing about a system designed for your needs that generates a a quick return on investment with savings along the way.